Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chipotle: Expectations vs Fundamentals...

I never thought that "burritos" would bring me out from hibernation (it has been nearly more than 3 weeks since I wrote the last blog). I love their food. Many of us do. It is Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc (ticker: CMG). Short, simple and affordable- 3 words help it rule its peers. An inspirational success and growth story. Following chart  says it all:


Phenomenal growth. Handsome return to investors. Stock was worth $38 on November 20, 2008. Stock is worth $330 today. Do I need to show return figures? Company's business model is fundamentally strong. They target fast food consumers who want to spend $5-$10 on their meals. It has nicely managed the global food inflation. Its store operate in all metropolitan area of the US and try to provide affordable options in such areas. Conclusion: Sweet & Sound!

Yesterday, they announced their second quarter earnings. Earnings were pretty good despite of rough outlook of the global economy. All numbers were decent and higher than last quarter. But I heard the voice.... "Clear Disappointment". I am still trying to figure out why I was supposed to hear that. Reason was--- they missed analysts' estimates. What bothers me is they missed it by dozen cents. Negative earnings surprise. I understand that analysts on the street perform all fundamental analysis and provide their estimates. But I still consider a phrase "Failing to meet expectations" which may make another phrase "Clear Disappointment". If we compare all the numbers with its peers and industry overall, they are still the leader. There is nothing wrong happening with its revenue generating model. It is partially because of too much expectations, isn't it?

Based on Chipotle's news, I wonder what happens in the market if mammoth Apple Inc misses its estimates. Worse. Worst. Why? They never respect analysts' estimates and always believe it positive earnings surprise!! Yesterday, they announced those bottom line numbers 25% greater than estimates. And that sends the story to investors for their EXPECTATIONS from Apple in the next quarter...

No comments:

Post a Comment